While running improves the quality of your physical, mental and emotional health, running without the proper gear and training can be detrimental to your personal goals, progress and most importantly your health. It is vital that you are well informed about what you can do to experience minimal injuries or to prevent them altogether.
7 Tips to Help you Prevent a Running Injury:
- Keeping your goals in mind, train for your current fitness level. Your body can only handle a certain amount of exertion at a time. Do not run longer or harder as you will feel the strain shortly afterward.
- Wear the right shoes for your feet. Everyone has a different shape of foot and different running style. Get assessed by a sports store that specialises in athletic footwear. Use an additional insert if you need to.
- Work out other muscles at least once a week, every week. It is beneficial to work other muscles in your body like your arms, chest and stomach.
- Some people think that this is overrated, but good quality sleep is very important. Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night especially before a race. It helps your body to relax and de-stress.
- Be Nutri-Wise (one of five Bestmed pillars) means eating the right foods to fuel your body before a race as well as after the race so that your microscopic muscle rebuilders have the correct nutrients they need to carry out their function optimally.
- Treat yourself to a massage once or twice a month to help your muscles relax and rejuvenate.
- Pay attention to pain. Hobbling on to the finish line may mean that you are off the road far longer than you expect. So when pain changes the way you run, stop, access and heal the injury before you get back onto your running feet.
The wellness philosophy at Bestmed Medical Scheme is to have fun while getting healthy and active. That’s the whole point!
Visit the website www.bestmed.co.za to find out more about the wellness pillars and Bestmed’s 13 unique benefit options.