Registered Dietitian | Runner & Fitness Fanatic | Optimist | CMIYC Leader in Birdhaven, Johanneburg
Melanie Sher is a registered dietitian, as well as an avid runner. She is passionate about living a well-balanced and holistic life. For this reason she pursued a career that she can apply to her own life daily, as well as enable her to assist others in optimizing their own health. Melanie does not believe that dietetics principles alone can help a person to reach optimum and overall health. She strongly believes that incorporating healthy and balanced dietary guidelines, exercise and mindfulness into your life will enable you to understand what drives you to be healthy and well. She is passionate about promoting health and good nutrition through her profession in dietetics, as well as through her CMIYC running group.
Melanie understands that there is a great deal of confusing and contradictory information about diet circulating on the internet and social media, and thus she aims to be a thorough, well-informed and compassionate practitioner of her discipline. She aims to clarify the science of dietetics, for everyday lifestyle as well as for sports-related nutrition, and to provide simple and easy-to-follow nutrition information and guidelines.
As a qualified dietitian, as well as a runner herself, Melanie understands how the body utilizes energy during exercise, as well as how nutrition can be used to optimise your training and performance during exercise. She aims to use this knowledge to empower you to make positive changes in all aspects your life, and to help you achieve and then maintain your nutrition and fitness goals.
About Melanie Sher
- Melanie graduated with a BSc Med (Hons) in Nutrition & Dietetics at the University of Cape Town (UCT), and she is registered with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as well as the Association for Dietetics in South Africa (ADSA), as a registered dietitian.
- Prior to completing her postgraduate degree, Melanie completed a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree at The University of the Witwatersrand (WITS), majoring in physiology and psychology.
- In line with her passion for fitness, Melanie completed a Diploma in Exercise Science with the Health and Fitness Professional Academy (HFPA).
As a registered dietitian, Melanie’s expertise lies in:
- Assisting individuals to develop healthy eating patterns and sustainable behavioural changes
- Assisting individuals in reaching their health, weight and fitness goals
- Designing personalised eating plans, which take into account an individual’s different needs and energy requirements
- Dietary modifications to assist an individual in reaching one’s requirements, including sports nutrition and vegan and vegetarian diets, to name a few
- Preventative methods to decrease the prevalence of disease and illness by following a well-balanced eating plan and living a healthy overall lifestyle
- Nutrition therapy to treat non-communicable diseases of lifestyle (such as overweight and obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, osteoporosis and cancer), Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, food allergies and intolerances, arthritis, to name a few