This Healthy Carrot Muffin Recipe by Arita Bagwandin is healthier than the usual carrot muffins, using just a few substitutions that provide a lower fat and calorie muffin.
Substitutions of Healthy Carrot Muffins:
- Maple syrup has been used instead of sugar
- Applesauce is substituted instead of oil, this gives a lovely texture without the fat content that oil has.
- Almond milk is used instead of regular milk, as it is healthier than regular milk and packed with vitamins.
- The addition of pecans brings in a bit of healthy fats.
170 cal per Carrout Muffin
7g of fat
- 3 C whole wheat flour (use white whole wheat flour for a lighter texture)
- 2tsp bicarb
- 3tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4tsp ground clove
- 1/2tsp salt
- 4-6 grated carrots
- 1C maple syrup 60ml olive oil
- 1C unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 4tsp vanilla essence
1C Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2C chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius blend together: the eggs, maple syrup, olive oil. Add the applesauce. Mix well. Add vanilla essence and mix well. Add the dry ingredients in and mix together. Add grated carrots in and mix along with the almond milk and then fold in the pecan nuts. Fill muffin cups ¾ way through and bake for 15-20mins.
Sprinkle tops of cooled muffins with cinnamon sugar (mixture of ground cinnamon and brown sugar), for a healthier topping instead of frosting. For a touch of indulgence add a dollop of cream cheese frosting on top.